With the third lockdown stretching into the future and no prospect of visiting Hejira in Nice or even getting afloat in the baby T/T Hejira dinghy on the Thames, I thought that a Nautical Quiz might give a little welcome yachty diversion.
I prepared this quiz for a ‘Bon Voyage’ party I threw for the original Atlantic crew and friends some years ago. In that some attendees would not have appreciated it being overly ‘bilge’, it has some more light-hearted and easy questions to try to keep everyone engaged.
The party was in a tent in the Thornleigh garden in October 2015 with 30 people enjoying a curry delivered by the local Indian Restaurant. My son Ollie has very kindly started an Instagram site entitled ‘My dad’s shit photos’ and, needless to say, some of these pictures feature !
Apologies in advance for question 9 in the picture round, I couldn’t resist it!
Enjoy it and let me know how you get on in ‘Leave a Reply’…
- What was the name of the ship commanded by Captain Pugwash ?
- In the Navy, what was a loblolly boy ?
- What Island inspired Robert Louis Stephenson’s Treasure Island ?
- In Nelson’s Navy, what element was used to treat syphilis?
- In Gerry Anderson’s puppet series ‘Stingray’, Marina was modelled on a film star of the period. What was the film star’s name ?
- In the Navy, how long was a single ‘dog watch’?
- What are US Navy Commandos called ?
- Who was God of the sea in Greek mythology ?
- Where did most of the ‘Bounty’ Mutineers settle ?
- How many animals of each species did Moses take aboard the Ark ?
- What is the meaning of the nautical term ‘avast’
- Which two Disney animated classics take place under water ?
- In the nautical term ‘freeze the balls on a brass monkey’, what is a brass monkey ?
- What was Moby Dick in Herman Melville’s novel of the same name ?
- In March 1967 Britain suffered its worst ever oil spill when a tanker was wrecked on rocks off the Isles of Scilly. What was the name of the ship ?
- Which big budget movie was set in the future when the World is completely covered in water?
- In diving, what does the acronym SCUBA stand for ?
- Name the four oceans of the World
- Tidal waves can be set off by underwater earthquakes, what are they called
- How much of the Worlds surface is covered by sea ? Answer within 5%
- Off which island group was the ship Mary Celeste found with no one on board?
- In December 1981, the Penlee Lifeboat was lost in its efforts to save the crew of which ship ? What was the name of the lifeboat ?
- In Arthur Ransome’s book Swallows and Amazons, what was the Blacketts’ uncle James Turner’s nickname ?
- On board ship, what is housed in a binnacle ?
- Winston Churchill’s is quoted as saying “Don’t talk to me about Naval tradition, it’s nothing but …………………….. This description was used as the title of the Pogues 1985 album. What is he supposed to have said?
- Where on a ship would you find a skyscraper and what is it ?
- Which shipping forecast area is immediately north of German Bight ?
- Square rigged ships would ‘wear ship’. What is the modern equivalent manoeuvre know as ?
- Who is Admiral of the Royal Yacht Squadron ?
- The America’s Cup is the oldest International Sporting trophy and has never been won by a British yacht. What was the name of the first Yacht to win the trophy in 1851 and what is the colloquial name for the trophy.
The answers will follow in a subsequent blog.
If you have enjoyed the quiz, why not send this link to your nautical friends and suggest they pass it on: http://hejira-sailing.com/lockdown-nautical-quiz/